culling chick..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birdman18, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,
    I have this one pheasant chick that couldn't walk that much,and looked like it wasn't going to make it but i gave him another few days so he would get better. Well today i noticed that he was getting a little worse and didn't think i should let the poor chick suffer. So i chose the baking soda and vinegar method because is was less pain for the chick and it would be over much quicker. The only thing though is that when i was about to pour the vinegar in the baking soda, the chick got wet a little because it spilled over would this affect the chick having less pain? This is my first time trying this culling method. I really hope i won't have to do it again. Culling is such a hard thing to do but it would be mean to the chick to let it suffer.

Thanks!!

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
  3. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    It took every ounce of energy I had this year, but I had to cull two chicks. I chose the removal of the head method. It's the fastest I feel and the kindest. Horribly painful for me, but was more humane for the chicks. Either way, it's a hard decision to make. Good for you for being able to do what you needed to for the good of the chick. [​IMG]

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I tried to find an old thread about gas chambers but I can't find it. But I think I read the vinegar/baking soda makes it burn when they breath it in. And for some I have read the birds panic because they are suffocating, not all, but some. I think that the most humane is snipping the neck off or removing the head [​IMG]

5. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks guys so much!! [​IMG] I feel a lot better knowing that i did the right thing for the chick. I'm going to miss him terribly, but at least he's not suffering no more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by