Culling chicks, the hard talk

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
I took about 5-6 years off of raising chickens. It's all coming back to me. And unfortunately, yesterday we had to cull our little 5-day old brahma that was struggling with respiratory issues. We did all we could do for 3 days, but she was suffering.
Culling is a terrible reality of any farm or ranch. But... it's also the responsible thing to do when an animal is suffering.
My question is, what's everyone's approach to having to cull a chick? I know it's not a great thing to talk about. But, if someone is faced with this, and most of us have been and will be again... It's better to have information.
Some people can't just run to a vet to pay to have them euthanized....
So, what's your best advice??

RIP Madeline! You were a sweet girl!!! I'm sorry we couldn't help you more!!
1648040392217.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this! Honestly, I would have never even thought of it. I grew up on a farm, and we just used an axe for the bigger ones and a hatchet for the chicks. But for someone who can't bring themselves to do that, this will be a much easier approach. Thank you again!
Yes, I have a hard time killing babies with my hands. If they were raised for meat it's fine, but I have never been able to just swing the axe at a baby.
This method seems easy and humane.

I took about 5-6 years off of raising chickens. It's all coming back to me. And unfortunately, yesterday we had to cull our little 5-day old brahma that was struggling with respiratory issues. We did all we could do for 3 days, but she was suffering.
Culling is a terrible reality of any farm or ranch. But... it's also the responsible thing to do when an animal is suffering.
My question is, what's everyone's approach to having to cull a chick? I know it's not a great thing to talk about. But, if someone is faced with this, and most of us have been and will be again... It's better to have information.
Some people can't just run to a vet to pay to have them euthanized....
So, what's your best advice??

RIP Madeline! You were a sweet girl!!! I'm sorry we couldn't help you more!!
View attachment 3034656
I was wondering about having to cull also. especially chicks. My son had to do my first and only sick chick thus far. I had another die on its own but the first one had a broken leg. I keep seeing stuff on people culling "undesirable" chicks or if they have too many roos. Well undesirable like: some of my silky chicks have 4 toes. I am getting rid of the hen with 4 toes even though i love her as long as as she goes to a good home. Anyways, would or does anyone cull their undesirables or if they have too many roos?

I was wondering about having to cull also. especially chicks. My son had to do my first and only sick chick thus far. I had another die on its own but the first one had a broken leg. I keep seeing stuff on people culling "undesirable" chicks or if they have too many roos. Well undesirable like: some of my silky chicks have 4 toes. I am getting rid of the hen with 4 toes even though i love her as long as as she goes to a good home. Anyways, would or does anyone cull their undesirables or if they have too many roos?
I believe it would depend on if anybody wanted them, or if you would like to go through the entire butchering process for meat. It also might be necessary to cull if no one in your area wants any of your roos

I cull for meat, for age, and for injury which significiantly impairs quality of life until the meat mark. The same way, every time. A SHARP! knife. Not merely Sharp, or sort of sharp, or worst of all, sHArP - but actually just came off the honing steel SHARP!

Honestly, I could grap the head, the body, and do the deed with my hands - no knife reqired - on the littles, but my wife would never forgive me.

Back
Top Bottom