Culling out old birds and bringing in new, do I keep the rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sashalee, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sashalee

sashalee New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi-

I've never posted before but have been chicken keeping for about 7 years. Love all the info from you folks.

This is the first time I am going to cull out most of my flock, about 30 birds. I'm going to keep the Araucana's (only because my customers love the colored eggs) there are about 15 of those.

My question is do I keep the 2 roosters that I have? One is great and a nice alarm when any pulls up to the farm. The other is nice but kinda skiddish and get beat up by everyone. I keep him separated in a chicken tractor with a few hens most of the time. It does not matter to me but my chances of getting another rooster is pretty slim. Because I'm in the city people call me when rooster they want to get rid of but I have a rule not to take other people's birds.

Keep the roosters or not, what do you think?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I would look at what the purpose(s) of my having a rooster are. If you aren't going to hatch any that is one reason not to keep one. Do you think a rooster would be some protection against predators? Maybe better a rooster would make the flock dynamics work better. Is there an ascetic reason you like to keep on? Me I like the watching the full range of chicken behaviors. I get a sense that you are leaning on keeping the nice one.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I just made this call, so I will explain my reasoning and you can agree or disagree. I had two roosters, one quite dominate and his son. I had chicks under a broody hen, and with winter coming on, out with some of the old to make room for some of the new.

Now I do free range a lot, and I have noticed a great reduction in day time predators when I free range with mature roosters. So I knew I wanted to keep one. Not sure if I made the right decision or not, but I kept the older rooster. I was pretty sure that at least a couple of the chicks growing up would be roosters. So the plan is to keep the older guy through the winter, let him help keep the younger roosters in hand, and then pick the one or two I want to keep. I knew he had done a good job with his son, so am hoping he will help with these boys.

I like having a rooster with my flock. I have had all hen flocks, and liked them, but the hawks really pick them off, and with the rooster, they don't.

Mrs K

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would also lean toward keeping the rooster who is a better flock master, as long as he is people friendly. As Mrs K. stated (she always gives good advice) this rooster will do his job well, and in the spring, he will train up the new roosters, then, you can choose the most promising one to replace the old man. Will you hatch your own eggs? Then the genetics come into play. Is the skittish one also an EE? How bout the Alpha roo? What is he? If you want to pass on those blue or green egg colors, that may enter into your decision. This year, I hatched eggs from a friend: EE roo x PBR hen. Got some beautiful black sex linked pullets that lay a very nice green egg.

5. sashalee

sashalee New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Its nice to have the rooster because I don't have any neighbors near my farm and he isnt bothering anyone. Most people here in the city can't have one because of obvious reasons. He's nice but seems really stressed a lot of the time.

The farm is also kinda isolated and I'm there with my young son, he alerts me when people pull into the parking area.

Other than that he's not that helpful with the ladies or predators from what I have noticed.

How would he be with a new flock?

Since I harvest the eggs daily and have 30+ layers and 2 roosters I have never had chicks. Mostly RIR so no broody hens either. I buy layers from the local FFA club at the high school. So wouldn't be getting any roosters anytime soon either.

Thanks for all the advise.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Thank you, Lazy Gardener!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by