Culling question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    When a diseased or dying chicken in your flock must be culled, by which means do you do it?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I dispatch by wringing the neck. It is the easiest and quickest way. sorry you ahve to do this.

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:I agree...even though it's the last thing we want to do! [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Here's a link to a posting regarding euthanasia guidelines. It's got a listing of euthanasia methods, their pros and cons, the impact on the patient and the administrator, and then rates each method. It's a highly informative read.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5112773#p5112773

I use cervical dislocation by either snapping the neck or removing the head.

Sorry you have to do this. Good luck.

5. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:I am a total wimp and take it to the vet for euthanizing, thankfully only had to do it once, but I could Never do it myself

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I killed my first sick hen about a week ago. I covered her head with a little sock,wrapped her in a towel,paced her neck through the 2 nails on the board,and then chopped her head off with a hand ax. It was very fast. The anticipation/fear before doing it was far worse than the actrual deed. It took me weeks to get up the nerve to do it.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I use cervical dislocation by either snapping the neck or removing the head.

I like how you seid it better. I alwasy make sure the head comes off so I know the chicken is gone.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by