Culling Roos to make the girls feel safe

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boyswillbeboys, Jul 31, 2014.

1. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I have 2 problems at the moment, and would like any advice you'll share.

1. I had 5 cockerels 22 hens and 9 pullets, the girls were so scared of the run I lost one to a predator yesterday, as she didn't want to go to the run, and one isn't even coming in to eat and drink, today I pulled 2 of the 3 dominant cockerels, leaving 1 dominant and 2 who don't really leave the roost. I can't butcher till Tuesday, as I'm very busy, I have them in a seperate building, but the forecast is for more stupid hot weather, with the door closed there is minimal ventalation, though 25 broilers did fine in it during cooler weather. I'm barely home during this weekend, between birthdays and other commitments, besides lots of water, is there something that I NEED to do for them? They are destined for the ax on Tuesday remember.

2. The chickens that are now scared of the run and coop, is there any way I can make them more comfortable? This is 5/9 pullets and 2 hens that are newer to the flock. The pullets and one hen stick close, without coming in more than they have to, and the other hen had apparently made a home in the trees (will she come back, or should I go looking and force her back once a day? Again, any ideas will be welcome.

Oh the pullets and cockerels are 18 weeks (3 15 weeks), all my hens are just over a year.
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I doubt the roosters are the only reason they are staying away from the coop and run. They may have had a nonfatal encounter with a predator there. I would double check the security of them and then confine them for a week to reset the coop as home. If you had 25 broilers in that building then three should not have a problem with the ventilation even in the heat, unless it runs over 100 in there.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pulling the 2 cockerals, might have upset the works, but they might be over crowded too, and are solving it their own way, by moving out.

You might do a few more birds, and see how it goes.

Mrs K
  4. boyswillbeboys

Apr 19, 2013
    I pulled the cockerels after the girls moved out, because they did. The run is still secure from ground based predators, with 1" chicken wire, and 2x6s along top and bottom, the biggest threat has been the overwhelming attempt at mating by the cockerels. I have had 1 hawk attack in the run since I got the chickens, it was fatal, last summer, everything else has happened outside the run, canine predators, either dogs or coyotes.
  5. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I'd see about hawk proofing it and then do as another suggested and lock them in the coop and run to reset it as home. I know my hens were miserable with the rooster in a small run with them, but when they had a bigger run/coop, they did much better. I can free range my grown hens now, and they always return to the coop to roost at night.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When/where did the younger birds come from, have you just integrated them into your flock?
  7. boyswillbeboys

Apr 19, 2013
    Aart, the younger birds were bought as chicks, and have been in the coop since 4 weeks and fully integrated for 10 weeks now (I have an accepting flock)

We had a bit of a wind storm last night, 3 were out where I couldn't find them to lock them in, 3 were on the fence and brought in 2/3 out were pullets, one hen that's been in the flock for 6 weeks. The ones on the fence were pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by