1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culling sick turkeys-are they safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lalalyndsey, Feb 28, 2013.

1. lalalyndsey

lalalyndsey New Egg

Jul 14, 2012
    Graham, Wa
    I have never raised turkeys before and I didn't really want to but I acquired 2 in swap last month. The tom is enormous and has bumblefoot. I know that that's treatable but he's unfriendly and a bully with the ducks so I wanted to process him and I was wondering if bumblefoot makes his meat dangerous? Also, the hen started sneezing a couple of days after she got here and now her cheeks are swollen. She was laying eggs up until 3 days ago (before her cheeks got swollen). I've decided not to do turkeys and I certainly wouldn't give them to someone else in this condition but can they be eaten? Also, they are in with my muscovies and all the ducks are 100% healthy-should I be doing something to prevent them getting sick? Any help/advice would be seriously appreciated, Thanks

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Bumble-foot is a condition, not a disease, so go ahead and process. The swelling sounds like a sinus condition and may or not be an infection. Some pictures would be helpful. If it is an infection, I would not eat it, but before you get rid of the poor creature, pictures would make a diagnosis much more of an accurate guess?

3. lalalyndsey

lalalyndsey New Egg

Jul 14, 2012
    Graham, Wa
    Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to keep her in a large dog crate and give her some antibiotics and see if she gets better. I couldn't get a picture because my camera's charger is awol at the moment. I googled swollen turkey faces and all the pictures that looked like her were sinus issues. Hopefully, she bounces back and I can find her a home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by