culling your birds

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
upstate
for those of you working on new colors/ breeds ect... what do you do with the birds that don't turn out to be used in the bredding project and are culled? do you eat them? and how many generations does it take to make a purbred bird if you start with two different breeds and breed those two together?

It could take many generations to get what you want, any good breeding program is defined by rigorous culling. I am lucky to have several auctions near my home so that is what I use to shed unwanted breeders and roosters.

AL

Quote:
pokey, By the sixth generation they are, for all practical purposes, pure. That is breeding to either the hen side or the cocks side. For instance, breed the daughter of the original pair back to her father, then the grandaughter, great grandaughter, etc., always using the original cock, until you have achieved 6 breedings. The result is 1/64th of the hens blood and will be exactly like the cock. You can do the same on the hens side by breeding mother to son, grandson, etc. In six generations you should not experience any flaws, but they could show up soon after. I recommend breeding to both the hens side and the cocks side so you have 2 families. If the flaws and defects start showing, simply start over with the best bird from each family, just as you did from the start. The problem with many breeds today is that they are so inbred with no consideration as to the defects. When defects show up, many "breeders" simply ignore them and continue to breed inferior stock.

Culls can be sold as crossbreeds at auction or butchered. Have fun........Pop

are there any shows that accept new breeds or colors? there are such pretty new colors being developed but how do you get those accepted into standard?

Back
Top Bottom