Culling...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bantam Chase, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    While I know the good ol hatchet is quick and effective, I don't know if I'd ever be able to do that to someone I knew. I've gassed hit-by-car birds before with tailpipe exhaust and it was very easy and peaceful, and hopefully painless for the bird. I would NEVER consider eating a bird that was gassed, but is that an acceptable way to cull a chicken? Other than the hatchet, what are other ways to dispose of a bird?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Neck dislocation by wringing or using the broom handle method.

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    put it in a 5 gallon bucket and pour bakin soda in the bottom of it then pour vingar then put the lid on very fast. or u can sell it or give it away

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Gassing seems to be the next best option of you can't bring yourself to use a hatchet. (I'm guessing that if you can't use a hatchet, you wouldn't be able to use the neck dislocation method, either). I think it would be painless and stress-free.

5. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    i got the idea from a person on here. se put the chick in a gallon bucket. i normaluly eat what i kill.

6. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    honestly if you dont plan to eat it yourself. amish folks at least the ones here in our area of ny will take them. just a thought or find someone who maybe wants them for their flock or yard.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

My husband shoots ours in the head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by