culling

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlsessed, Nov 24, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Come spring, I'm going to get some bb red cubalayas from ideal. I was wondering what I should want to cull for and what qualities I want to choose for breeding. Also, What are the most serious aspects to cull for such as body build over color and so forth. Because I'm sure I'm not going to get a perfect chicken in the batch. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Start by getting a standard.

After that, you can read the characteristics they are supposed to have. Then it is up to you which is more important (body conformation, color, etc.). You want to cull obvious defects, (deformed body parts, unusually weak birds, etc.), but beyond that you as the breeder chooses which bird you think is best, and over many years slowly select better birds. That is how strains are created, by breeders all selecting what traits they think will influence their stock for the better. Good luck!

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

For Cubalayas, you need to consult saladin. He is a breeder and shows them. In fact, he would be a good source for breeding stock. He`s a member here. Do a search and PM him........Pop

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Ok, thanks for the info.

5. F-One

F-One Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Alabama
    I take a preservation approach to culling. My goal is to have strong, vigorous and usefull birds, not shortlived weak birds with spectacular color. I would choose health and vigor first followed by body and lastly color. The old saying goes repair the barn before you paint it.
    You may be fortunate enough to get some good birds from Ideal. So study the breed and cull wisely. Do not feel you must cull heavily just because they are hatchery birds. Cull heavy only if needed by your goals and standards of the breed.

6. WHISTLER

WHISTLER Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    if you want quality cubalays i would not recommend getting them from ideal, as stated talk to saldin(doc), cuba kid,or gallorojo about getting some quality birds but you might have to wait untill next year they might not have any left also check out the cubalaya thread on here

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I am also in the don't buy hatchery stock for breeder/good quality purposes. They will be far from what they should be and will most likely be of mixed breedings themselfs, it's a hatchery think ya know. Go to a real breeder and give your program a decent start, hatchery stock will just set you back many years and after learning their SOP you may end up culling all you ordered. sorry but if you want breeder stock get them from a good breeder, you won't be sorry.

8. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:Yes, that is true that hatchery stock is never as good as breeder, although one hatchery (the only hatchery I would ever order from) that supposedly provide high-quality stock is Sandhill Preservation Center. Glenn and Linda are nice people, and are committed to breed preservation, and though I haven't ordered from them I hear their chicks quality is beyond hatchery stock quality (but obviously still not as good as if you go directly to a breeder). I would rather get Cubalayas from Sandhill then Ideal if I were ordering them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by