1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my rooster has been sick. I've been waking up in the middle of the night worrying myself sick "if he doesn't get better, how am I going to cull him?" I'm a huge animal lover and while I wouldn't want any animal to suffer, I really don't think I could twist a neck, it would just break my heart. There are no poultry vets in my area either. Hubby is feeling the same, just doesn't think he could do it either. If there was a shot I could give a chicken to put it to sleep, that I could do.
    My rooster is getting better but this has had me wondering if i should really be keeping chickens if I can't bring myself to cull when needed.

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    You're not alone in feeling this way. I'm needing to get rid of 3 roosters because I'm rooster heavy right now. I would rather find a good home for them since I've raised them from chicks. My son brought home several chicks to raise, but we ended up with too many roosters. They're still my babies though. I never thought about having to send one to the stew pot. That is something I just can't do. I even have a hard time giving them away for someone else to use for dinner. I just want them to go to good homes that need a rooster in their flock. I've recently had the desire to hatch my own chicks because I KNOW my eggs are fertile, but then comes the same problem. There is no guarantee that they'll all be pullets and the cycle starts all over again..what do I do with the roosters if I can't bring myself to cull them? My best bet I guess is to order all pullets and hope they arrive that way! Sorry about your dilemma. I know how you feel!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The broomstick method is the one of choice for most folks. It is pretty simple to achieve. Lay a broomstick across the bird's throat. Stand on the broom while simultaneously pulling sharply on the bird's feet. Don't be squeamish when you pull or you risk hurting the bird and not doing the job. This will cause cervical dislocation and instantly kill the bird. There will be some flapping, but this is just reflexive and means nothing. If you wear heavy gloves when doing it, you can't feel anything that will distress you.

I use a variation on this method. I use a heavy garden rake with the bird's head on one side of the tines and the body on the other. Step on the rake and pull sharply. Same end result. Less chance of slipping.

The trouble with injectible drugs is that they are often only available through a vet, and then the way they are often administered is via a heart stick, which is a method that takes training to achieve. The heart stick method is also not generally instantaneous, whereas cervical dislocation is.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I also can relate to your dilemma. I have culled three roosters, and it is the most unpleasant thing I've had to do. I use an ax. Leaves me with such an unpleasant feeling. But I realize it's necessary and I get it done.

Now, here's how my friend does it. He shoots them with a rifle. He doesn't have to be so "up close and personal" that way. You'd have to be a really good shot though......

I hatch and I can usually sell the roos on CL, or I sell chicks as unsexed. But the easiest, less expensive method of getting female chicks is to buy them from a hatchery, you're right about that.

Take care and know you're not alone,
    Sharon

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Here's some advice - if you can't get yourself to cull a chicken at close quarters and if you have a shotgun this is an easy way to cull - just stand 5 or 10 yards away from the chicken and shoot it - use number 6 or 4 shot - you can't miss - and it doesn't feel like it's so personal then - now let me also ramble a bit - and I don't say this to upset anyone - it goes to show how far removed some people have gotten from the realities of life - everytime you eat meat you enjoy something that someone else killed - just think how it was in the olden days when everyone had to pretty much fend for themselves - you learned that taking the live of an animal was routine and needed - othewise you would starve - I think what the problem is that we have a tendency to think animals have the feeling like we humans - they can't anticipate what is going to happen to them as we can - and often just thinking about what is going to happen is the real problem - just remember why animals were put on this earth - for us to use - not just to be here -

Part of raising chickens involves being able to cull them when necessary - if you can't maybe you should take up a different hobby - I think a lot of the diseases that we chickens owners have to put up with is because people are keeping chickens that should be culled and not kept alive to spread diseases - it makes raising chickens easy if you cull at the first sign of sickness - I treart my chicken very well - they have a good life - but if one gets sick - I lower the boom - I'm not going to buy all kind of medicines to treat a sick chicken or stay up nights worrying about one - man I got better things to do - JoePa

6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Mix a BUNCH of sleeping tablets into their water supply?

7. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    This morning I had my rooster put to sleep. Fortunately, I have a great vet that put him to sleep for me. While he had made some improvement, it wasn't a significant improvement and it's been a week. He'd lost quite a bit of weight and was still wheezing so I decided to let him go. Couldn't leave him suffering and had done everything I could.

8. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by