Culling

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GatsbysGirl, Mar 12, 2013.

1. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have 22 babies right now and one is small, has issues walking and is not thriving like the others. I know with the leg issues I need to cull him but I've never had to do that with a quail. I've culled chickens and know what I'm doing there but how do I go about it with a baby quail?

2. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Pair of kitchen scissors.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    quote from Alice in Wonderland
    "Off with her head!"

sorry

a sharp knife will work too. not a fun job but sometimes necessary.

even snapping the neck with your hands. :(

4. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Take a butchers knife and cut it

5. GatsbysGirl

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Well I didn't have to do anything. He passed on his own. I feel awful now. I hope he wasn't suffering.

6. McPhersonFarm

McPhersonFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2013
    Fort White, FL
    I have been having like 1/25 with splayed legs and problems walking etc. I have been making them little leg braces and I'm going to see if they're ok....Hopefully they will be

7. GatsbysGirl

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I tried with this little guy but it was to late. He was always smaller but last week we had to go out of town suddenly for a funeral and my pet sitter must not have noticed (not that I am blaming her). I just didn't get to him in time.

I wish you luck with yours! Let me know how it turns out. I've braced chicks legs before but this is my first time with quail so I am learning as I go.

8. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    With quail cut band aids in half lenght wise. I tried it but it didnt work in my case. Doesnt really work if their legs wont bend at the joints as they lean forward naturally. You tried your best just wasnt meant to survive. I dropped one moving it to the brooder and it wasnt a good experience. I learned from it tho

9. McPhersonFarm

McPhersonFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2013
    Fort White, FL
    I tried with 3 but it didn't work with any of them :(

10. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    be sure they are being turned correctly and not too far upright, causing pressure on the feet and toes as they develop. also be sure to use some sort of non slip bedding for them. i have found thaat the nonslip shelf liner is the best as it can be changed quickly and washed very easily. Do not use newspaper or paper towel. Sorry about the losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by