culling

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DragunzGirl, Aug 16, 2008.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Ok i have no clue where to put this at on the site... i have been looking around the site for a few hours now thinking where to put this post...

Ok what i want to ask is, what is the best way to Cull a chicken? also I know this sounds mean, i have a snake that eats chicken, well i do not want to feed live to her so i need to know best way to cull a chicken without any pain. She eats month old chicks tho. I have gotten them all ready culled off the internet but its getting to high on pirce so i need to start it my self [​IMG]...

also i might be growing up some chicks for a chicken dinner latter on when there full grown.

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
  3. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    wow that is a price hmmm i got to think about it..

4. Mr.Yardbird

Mr.Yardbird Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    lake meredith
    A sharp machete works well, i had a friend show me what he does, he takes a 1 foot 1/2'' thick rebar, puts chicken neck under it and grabs feet and pulls up, hang to bleed /rinse and repeat. There are many ways to do the deed.

Regards,
    Mr.Yardbird

5. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    well that sounds like a fast way yes but for the chicken that goes to the snake i need the head still on it... is it a fast way if i brake the neck? just asking cause some one told me to just do that. Im not sure if thats a fast way tho. I dont want the chicken suffering :\\

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, breaking the neck is a common way to cull chickens without blood. Be sure to hold the break until the bird stops moving to ensure the spine is separated and the bird perishes quickly.

Jody

7. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    k, ya there are many ways i just got to pick one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by