1. riyadh123

riyadh123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    i dont unsterstand the fact. why is it that people kill their ill chick/en when theyre ill?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The reason is either the animal is in severe pain,carrying a contagious disease or they do not know how to treat.

3. riyadh123

Sep 7, 2013
    oh

4. riyadh123

Sep 7, 2013
    thnx, i was jus wondering

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some reasons include that the chicken has a serious disease that could infect the entire flock, it is in pain/isn't getting better, there is no known treatment, or the disease can spread easily to other flocks (therefore infecting them, too). All of these can be reasons for culling a sick chicken.

1 person likes this.
  6. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    It's hard on the humans doing the culling, but most of the time, it's better for the bird. I had a hen get flystrike a couple months ago when the flies were bad. Overnight, maggots had hatched and eaten into her abdomen, and her butt. She was in pain. There was no treating her. I culled her and put her out of her misery. Yes it was hard for me but it was the responsible thing to do. To let her live in that kind of pain would have been cruel.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Respiratory diseases are contageous to other birds in a flock. Treating them with antibiotics only treats symptoms but never cures birds from the disease. Birds that survive these diseases are carriers for life and will spread the disease to newly introduced birds to an existing flock. Additionally, some diseases are passed through hatching eggs. Also if the the disease is a virus, antibiotics are useless. It's best to cull sick birds to protect the rest of the flock if caught in time. Biosecurity is important when owning birds. Most people want to treat sick birds. I usually recommend treatments because that's what they want...but I always mention that the other option is to cull the sick birds or they'll be playing nursemaid to a bunch of sick birds which costs money and is time consuming.
    There are other problems that dont require culling a bird such as certain injuries, bumblefoot, parasites etc...it really just depends what you're dealing with.

1 person likes this.
  8. riyadh123

Sep 7, 2013
    can cocci be removed from bird completely?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No. All birds have cocci. It's when it gets out of control in their system is when there's a problem and requires treatment. Same with ecoli bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by