Culls: to eat or not to eat?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fanci Feathers Marans, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Tender

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Hi, everyone. I have Marans as you can probably tell, and have found several than I would never want to hatch chicks from. Problem is, I have a small flock. I have names for these things. But I need the space for my next batch of chicks. When I hatched them, I told myself we were going to eat the culls, but now... ugh.

I know if I had 100+ chickens this wouldn't be a problem, but I don't. What do you guys do with your culls?

2. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    I usually give them to people who just want them as pets, meat or eggs

Fanci Feathers Marans likes this.
  3. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Giving them away is a good idea. You can usually get rid of free stuff, I've noticed. But what about the roosters? You can't hardly pay people to take a roo anymore. No matter how pretty or docile.

4. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    Those I usually take to fairs, and put them in cages with signs that say free. Between them being on display, and the large amount of people, by the next day or two, the rooster's are usually gone

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Awesome! I'll have to try that. Thanks a lot

6. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Crowing

Apr 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    You're welcome! Good luck!

7. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I take a lot of mine to auction.
    At auction they don't bring much but everything sells and sells that day so not much hassle with trying to find homes.
    Roosters sell as well as hens for the most part.
    Have any "sale barns" around there? The two close to us do small animal sales once a month.

8. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    We do, but most of the animals end up dinner, and I would kind of like to avoid that. Ugh. You're not supposed to get attached to roosters. I think the shows would be a better place to sell them, at least to give me peace of mind. They're not aggressive. I think they would make someone a nice roo. Plus, they can still be used to make olive eggers.

9. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I agree. I know its kinda a given that the boys will be eaten. But I need to move more cockerels out then I can find homes for one at a time.
    I've come to terms with that. Sometimes I use CL if its a cockerel that I think is a really good one. Its always a lot of work if you worry about them going to a pet or breeder home.
    I do know if you worry about forever homes AND making much or anything off them it gets almost impossible.
    I never consider eating one of ours but I know if I'm realistic that if I don't keep them all that's about the only choice.

10. Fanci Feathers Marans

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Well, see my Nana bought a roo one time with the biggest spurs on him. The were so proud of that old thing! They'd point out his spurs and say how he'd never attacked them.
    That's kind of a nice thing, you know? Letting people know that there are good roosters out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: