Cure for Commom Cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barredrock254, Aug 5, 2013.

1. barredrock254

barredrock254 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    When I let my chickens out today my chicken was wheezing pretty loudly. She's about 4 and it doesn't seem like the horrible wheezing is bothering her, but do you think it could be a cold of some sort? I'm having my dad get an antibiotic right now, but do you guys know any home remedies to quiet her wheezing?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might be bothered by something in her environment such as dust or a certain plant, or she may have an object stuck in the airway, but it might be a respiratory disease. Antibiotics such as Tylan, tetracycline, and oxytetracycline are useful. Other signs of infection would be bubbles in eyes, rattles, swollen eye or face, nasal/eye drainage or crusting. Here is a link to diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    She is only wheezing. Could I put, like, honey or something in the water so it soothes her wheezing?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Like Eggcessive stated, it could be an environmental problem; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding inside the coop, inhalation of feed dust or from dust bathing, pollen, pesticides use on lawn etc....OR, it could be a fungal issue rather than a respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are contageous and show other symptoms, and since you didnt mention that no other birds are affected and no other symptoms...I believe it's environmental, maybe fungal. Look for the enviromental problems first, antibiotics should be used as a last resort for bonafide respiratory diseases (or cull, if that's what it is.)

5. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    Okay. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by