Cures for respiratory illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaybud, Nov 7, 2016.

1. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    So I wanted to get some feedback on cures for respritory illness. I have a large flock of birds and just recently my Americauna and RIR started gurgling and sneezing. What are the best meds and applications to use for a cure and should the birds be quarantined. Lastly what about the eggs, are they safe to eat during this time and also while being medicated. Thanks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In an ideal world, its best to take veterinary advice, but to make sure that the vet in question has experience in treating birds and take it from there. Identifying specific respiratory illnesses is problematic, since many share the same symptoms. Some are caused by allergies, fungus, bacterial infections or viruses.

Yes, quarantining your affected birds is a good idea (and maybe use a different bedding material) and giving the whole flock electrolytes / vitamin supplements will certainly do no harm. If the cause is bacterial or viral, it they will give their immune systems a boost and help fight off whatever the problem is.

Here's a link on respiratory illnesses that may be helpful.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm sure other members will be a long to offer more advice, but without veterinary diagnosis, treatment is a bit of a stab in the dark.

Good luck

2 people like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Agreed.

@CTKen has given good advice.

Separating your sick birds would be best.

You mention "gurgling and sneezing", there is such a wide variety of causes/illnesses/diseases for those symptoms, vet care and diagnosis would be best.

You need to know which one you are dealing with in order to give proper treatment.

Keep in mind that antibiotics may help with relief/support care and help with secondary infections, but won't "cure" respiratory illness. Once recovered, birds still remain carriers for life (this includes birds exposed to the ill birds, regardless if they ever show symptoms or not).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Thnx for the good info, they seems to be getting better now supplements. Few birds still lathargic but coming around. Got word from local TSC that a respritory bug is going around here in the Tehachapi valley.

5. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Some birds are still showing the effects so I started the oxytetracyclin in the water yesterday. Hope it finally helps them kick this bug.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

7. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I'm using 1 teaspoon per five gallons of water in the container. They also said it is the mycoplasma bug, usually transferred by wild birds. So I started taking the feeders back inside the coop and not leaving it outside all day.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oxytetracyline (800mg) dosage is 5 Teaspoons per Gallon of water.
    (reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...acycline-antibiotic-in-water/70#post_17143928)

Mycoplasma seems to be fairly common, while treatable and symptoms can be managed, it is contagious. It depends on what your chicken keeping goals are as to how to handle it. Practicing bio-security between flocks and keeping closed flocks is a good idea. This means not selling/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, adults or showing your chickens. Mycoplasma can be transmitted by mucous, dust, dander, etc. and also transovarian (to the egg). Birds that have Mycoplasma and birds that have been exposed (regardless of symptoms or not) are considered carriers for life.

I encourage you to read/research all you can about Mycoplasma and how to manage it. Hopefully the Oxy will be effective in controlling their symptoms.
    Here's some info to get you started:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...synovitis.html?qt=Mycoplasma synoviae &alt=sh
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
    http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/201395.pdf

1 person likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Which oxytetracycline product are you using?

-Kathy

10. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    VetRx brand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by