1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curing capes for fly fishing??

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by CuzChickens, Nov 13, 2016.

1. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Ok, so I have parts of Silver Laced Wyandotte capes. Not the whole capes. Just part of it. My mom slaughtered them, and this was what she saved:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is how big they are. That is not an adult pinkie finger.
    [​IMG]
    So I stretched them on a board, and mixed up about 3 tablespoons of Borax and 3 tablespoons of salt. I have been changing the mixture once a day, and they have been curing for 3 days, they are getting dryer and stiffer. Somebody is buying both of them for $15.00.

So. Am I doing anything wrong? Are they worth $15.00? Thank you for your input!

2. Huntress78

Huntress78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    The salt/Borax should work fine.
    My steps for preserving a light bird skin like that is to remove the meat and fat, wash well to get any blood out of the feathers...then rinse, rinse, rinse. Dry feathers completely and cover the skin side with borax mixture till dry.

If you trim the edges of the skin with a scissors (remove any extra skin, membrane and fat) it will dry faster and give a longer shelf life by removing excess bug food.

Seems there are many different sizes and quality of hackle...and prices reflect that. If your 'customer' is willing to pay $15 then it must be worth it to him/her.

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input! The capes were washed as soon as the bird was killed so the fresh blood washed off easily. I have noticed a few patches where the skin was cut sloppily, so I'll cut those off when I check on them in the morning. I showed the capes to a seasoned fly fisher and told him what I was selling them for. He just whistled and said I should have charged $25, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

4. Hackle Master

Hackle Master Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2016
    Barker New York
    Well i would say it depends on the quality of the hackles and length also if do any dying different colors then all that should change ur price. I tie flies for fishing my self and I no for prime tying hackles you can pay a pretty penny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by