Curing leg mites with Tea Tree Oil?

Eric91780

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Southern California
I have a chicken with leg mites. Not a bad case, but it needs to be dealt with. I tried just using coconut oil for several weeks, but it did not seem to have had much affect.

I'm not interested in using petroleum products (Vaseline), wd-40 (read the DANGER! label on the can regarding "skin contact"), or lab created medications.

I'm specifically looking for a natural approach. I'm not saying others are wrong for using these methods, its their right. I'm just saying I have the right to choose a more natural method.

I have read that people have had success with using tea tree oil because it will kill the eggs and the mites. But from what I have searched and read I am getting conflicting information.

Some one said they apply pure tea tree oil and others say they dilute it with olive oil or coconut oil.

I understand tea tree oil is a very powerful product, so does it need to be diluted or directly applied?

If it needs to be diluted then what is the proper ratio of oils?

Also, is it necessary to clean and prep the area before starting treatment?

I use apple cider viniger on roosters & hens & chicks I find it helps more than anything, mine have not gotten any type of bug or parisite, u mix it with water dunk them in until fully drench, let warm air dry.
smile.png

If you want to kill all the mites, you are pretty much stuck using chemicals/pesticides ect. If you want to control them, suppress them, & make the chicken more comfortable- but probably not achieve a total cure- you can use just about any oily material that will penetrate into the skin layer. What you are doing with olive oil, mineral oil, tea oil, gasoline, petroleum jelly ect is clogging the mite's breathing pores and smothering them, at least some of them- the ones that get covered in oil. You can help the oils penetrate by soaking the chicken's legs in warm soapy water, and using a stiff toothbrush to remove as much of the crusts as possible. Where the mites live is under and around the scales. You will need to do this periodically, every two weeks to control them. Mites exist in different life stages in the legs, and some stages (like eggs) are less susceptible to treatments. Even the antiparasitic 'lab created medications' as you call them, are not effective with one dose.
Jess

I USE THE APPLECIDER VINIGER TO PREVENT PERISITES,
WHAT U SHOULD DO IS GET A GRAPEFRUIT CUT IT IN HALF,
DRAIN THE JUICE INTO A BOWL, SOAK ITS LEGS IN THE JUICE, ALSO SPRAY SOME INTO BEDDING AREA,
THIS IS AN OLD PR REMEDY, VERY SAFE ON ALL ANIMALS.

Any type of oil should work, petroleum or otherwise. The oil does 2 things-smothers the mites and softens the leg scales so they return to a normal appearance. Repeated treatments over a period of time are necessary.
As to apple cider and/or grapefruit juice....well, maybe, but I don't see why. I suspect the dunked birds wouldn't have become infested w/o this treatment.

Quote:
the reason why, is becouse my husband used grapefruit to get rid of mites back in purto rico and it always work for him, my husbands grandfather showd his farther and so on. since ive been with my husband i have learn that apple cider viniger bath with water helps for the same reason, ive been using that for over a year and we have not had not one promblem of any type of bug or parasites. If u look at some POULTRY PROTECTOR SPRAYS u will see that they contain citric acid this suffercates the bug. and what do mean about that last sentince u wrote?:|

Last edited:
We don't use petroleum products on our animals either.

We use tea tree alone.... not for mites because we haven't had that problem. But if a bird gets injured, I use a couple of drops of tea tree oil on the wound. It works and it has never killed one of our chicks or chickens.

You could also use food grade Lanolin for leg mites. It is used to produce Vitamin D3, which is helpful for healing. I've read that it can also be used on combs and wattles to help prevent frostbite. You should be able to get lanolin at your local health food store.

Back
Top Bottom