Curing salmonella

Selka

Chirping
Aug 9, 2021
We have a suspicion of Salmonella in our flock. I am waiting for the lab results, they told me Salmonella and Campylobacter are suspected, they have to isolate it. I wanted to ask - in case it proves we do have Salmonella in the flock, can it be treated? I read many articles on this topic, and my conclusions are from culling all the birds as they become carriers for life and can produce infected eggs for life to opinons that Salmonella is present almost everywhere including human gut and the birds just live with it. So can I still keep the layers in case they are infected? They have not started laying yet, they are 3-6 months old (the eldest are marans). Is there a medication to treat it? Our flock had some protruding respiratory disease and eye infection, our vet gave us antibiotics (enrofloxacinum) to treat it, but they got diarrhea with blood after taking them. One vet said it could be reaction to antibiotics, I eliminated the birds that felt the worst, the other show no symptoms at all, they eat and drink well. They got this slimy tea from linen seeds, probiotics and Aminosol (some vitamins and proteins for recovery). I just put their poop to the lab in case.... They look absolutely okay now, but another antibiotics could be too much for them...

Thanks for your inputs...

We have a suspicion of Salmonella in our flock. I am waiting for the lab results, they told me Salmonella and Campylobacter are suspected, they have to isolate it. I wanted to ask - in case it proves we do have Salmonella in the flock, can it be treated? I read many articles on this topic, and my conclusions are from culling all the birds as they become carriers for life and can produce infected eggs for life to opinons that Salmonella is present almost everywhere including human gut and the birds just live with it. So can I still keep the layers in case they are infected? They have not started laying yet, they are 3-6 months old (the eldest are marans). Is there a medication to treat it? Our flock had some protruding respiratory disease and eye infection, our vet gave us antibiotics (enrofloxacinum) to treat it, but they got diarrhea with blood after taking them. One vet said it could be reaction to antibiotics, I eliminated the birds that felt the worst, the other show no symptoms at all, they eat and drink well. They got this slimy tea from linen seeds, probiotics and Aminosol (some vitamins and proteins for recovery). I just put their poop to the lab in case.... They look absolutely okay now, but another antibiotics could be too much for them...

Thanks for your inputs...
Sorry no one has replied sooner. Have you got the lab results yet?

Back
Top Bottom