Curiosity about absesses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm wondering about chicken abcesses. Seems like they turn into hard knots, no matter where they occur in the body. My question is.....are these hard knots active sites of the bacteria? Seems like the chickens I've had with them are compromised systemtically too......weak, wheezing, etc. Just curious if anyone knows if these hard knots are actually concentrated teaming bacteria or what?
    Thanks!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Not to sure if I can answer your questions directly...but I will relate my experience to you.

Years ago there was a farmer selling ducks at a weekly market. They often had respiratory problems- and a few had abscesses on their faces. I did buy a few of them hoping that some care and antibiotics would help them. Some recovered quickly- but Brandon was the first little duckie that succumbed. I had taken him to two different vets- but neither knew exactly how to treat him. Sadly the abscess reoccurred a number of times- and eventually started to block his throat. I had to have him put to sleep before he suffocated. Harvey on the other hand was a success. I bought him at just a few weeks old- the abscess already large and badly infected - but with three operations- and 5 months of antibiotics he was cured. The abscess on the first time it was lanced was found to be teaming with bacteria. With one of the best avian vets in Australia treating him- I was confident his treatment was in good hands. His face was drained a number of times- and scraped as well. In poultry pus is not fluid like with humans- but much more like cottage cheese. This is why an abscess will feel so solid and hard. It also means that in some cases to completely remove all the infected tissue- the area must be lanced and scraped to remove it. If the knots you are feeling are abscesses - then yes - bacteria will be present- but other things can also cause hard lumps as well. A bird suffering from a particularly bad abscess may also exhibit other signs such as weakness- not eating or moving well. If you are particularly worried- get you bird to see a vet for some treatment or antibiotics.

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks duckyfromoz!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by