Curiosity killing me....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LastChanceRanch, Nov 20, 2009.

1. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    ok, I am finally giving in to my curiosity! This past spring/summer I raised a new flock of chickens (after being out of the chicken game for a little while). I had a beautiful mixture of bantams and LF who all got along splendidly. As the roos (I had two, unbeknownst to me because i was supposed to have only one, black jersey giant roo and the one was DEFINATELY a roo) came "of age" I found one bantam and a smaller sized pullet stomped to death over a two day period. I thought maybe the cats had gotten them (we free range in the day) even though we have never had an issued with our cats or dogs. They also weren't eaten at all, just smushed! [​IMG]

The next day I was in my coop and just watching the birds to see if I could find anything odd going on after finding my bantam roo smushed. I watched and watched and finally saw what was supposed to be a black jersey giant pullet attack one of the smaller birds and start jumping on it!!! [​IMG]

I immediately separated the big jersey giant and began to look at her/him. I could see the male features starting (the saddle feathers, etc) and kept him separated. He did begin to crow over the next day also. I decided to cull him as I was NOT going to put up with loosing my chickens to a big, mean rooster.

After the culling I have had zero deaths and peace was restored in the coop. I obtained another bantam rooster for my girls and the big jersey giant roo I have left is sweet as pie. I have about 16 hens to the big jersey giant and about 8 bantam hens to the little guy. I also have PLENTY of room in the coop with roosts and a super huge run (for when they are not free ranging which is most every day, all day... we're lucky our alaksan malamute doesn't bother the chickens but definately keeps away any seroius predators).

Sooo...long long story short, what the heck was up with that big, mean roo? .Was he just mean or is there some chicken behavior i should be aware of?

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    He was probably the dominant roo of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by