Curiosity over supposed bantam Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sahwithchicks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    So on march 17th, I went to a chicken swap here in central FL. I was looking for a birchen Cochin bantam hen for my rooster. There was a lady who was selling bantams and told me if I bought her black Cochin bantams they would breed 50/50. I bought two. I believe they where about a week old and had began to molt, she said. Now, I am guessing they are around 7 weeks old. Though she said they where both black Cochins, I already see big differences in them. To be honest, I am not really bothered that one isn't what I thought it is, but the curiosity is killing me. Any suggestions on what she may be?

Here is the bird in question. Her eyes, feet, crest (totally lack of) and stance are completely different. She is only a tiny bit bigger then the Cochin bantam chick. her eyes are almost completely black, while the Cochin roo and chick has orange yellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the pictures of what I believe to be a real black bantam Cochin. I compare the features to those of My rooster and all are similar except the crest, so I believe her to be a Female. (I hope the way I am uploading the pictures works!!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    She appears to be a mix. It doesn't look like she has a single comb which is what Cochins should have. Maybe Easter Egger mixed with Cochin? EE only due to the comb and their so common. Did she have any other types of chickens?

3. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I was to believe she had only two true breeds, Cochin and one other, though I can't recall for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by