Curiosity question about milk

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Nov 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am supposed to follow a strict gluten free, dairy free diet. I can live without the gluten in my life, but try cheating when it comes to dairy (and always live to regret it [​IMG] ).

I can't get used to the taste and/or consistency of rice, almond or soy milk, so I tried cheating with lactose free milk. Doesn't work, it's not the lactose that's the problem, but anyhow...

I noticed on the cartons of lactaid milk that they have a very distant expiration date, like two months. The carton I have in the fridge right now I bought two weeks ago and it's good until sometime in December.

Regular cows milk has a short expiration date, compared to many other foods. What is it about the lactose free milk that makes it last so long? Is it the removal of the lactose or something else, perhaps the way it's processed?

2. What about raw milk..

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Honestly...drinking raw milk solved MANY digestive problems for me.

Maybe it's because enzymes start to break down the lactose in the regular cow's milk within a short amount of time?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's been many years since my family had raw milk on a regular basis, so I really don't know. Be hard to come by around here. I've asked my DH for a milk cow, but he doesn't think my body would allow me to handle the care of one.

Anyhow, I'm not worried about not having the dairy. I'm getting used to that. I was just curious about the milk itself.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:If the milk has been "ultra pasturized" rather than just plain ol "pasturized" then it will have a very long shelf life, even unrefrigerated. It's fairly dead stuff.
    I go out of my way to avoid buying the "ultra" pastuized stuff, and would rather get raw if I could.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is it the packaging? Those sealed boxes will keep much longer that a waxed carton or plastic jug.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've wondered this, too. I keep a carton of silk soymilk for me in the fridge and it takes me at least a month to finish it. It lasts for so long before it expires...

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:If the milk has been "ultra pasturized" rather than just plain ol "pasturized" then it will have a very long shelf life, even unrefrigerated. It's fairly dead stuff.
    I go out of my way to avoid buying the "ultra" pastuized stuff, and would rather get raw if I could.

This is it. Yes, the "milk" is dead. Even just "regular" pasturizing kills off some of the milk.

You might try an add on Craigslist - looking for goat or cow "pet" milk. Some states have outlawed the sale of raw milk for human use (NV is one) and sources must be found for "pet milk". Just ask them, when you are there looking at their facilities if they drink their milk. When I sell meat - I sell it as pet meat - but everything I process is done for ME to eat - so I tell customers it is pet meat but how you use it is up to you. [​IMG]

You could handle a goat or two instead of a milk cow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'll ask around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by