Curiosity

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 14, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    For those of you who let your ducks free range-- what time do you put them up in the evening? In their house(s) or pin(s)?

2. paigerachelle

paigerachelle New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Vermont
    Our ducks have always been free ranging. We coached them to go into their coop every night just as it started getting dark, when predators would be out. Took a while each night, but eventually they just started going in by themselves. Now we just go out and shut the coop door for them [​IMG]

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

We have about the same thing going on. When it starts getting dark I go out & tell them to "go to bed" & they go right I'm the coop! Now do you have pool in with them at night? I do...but do they really need it??

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Mine only free range when I am out with them.....No pool in the run.....When I am ready to secure my Birds I just say bed time and we all head back to the run....I lock them into the Dog House once it is pretty dark out, again I say bedtime Duckies and they wattle into the house and wait till another fun filled day on the Farm........

Cheers!

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I put mine back in the run when it's dark, but still enough light to see without a flashlight. By then the chickens have all gone to roost, and the ducks will be hanging around outside the door. The ducks wait til they see me coming and then go into the pen.

I used to have a small tub in their pen for them, just big enough for one or two to get in at a time, but we've gotten so much rain the past few months that I took it out. The run was enough of a muddy mess without them splashing more water into it.

6. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Just when it starts getting dark they usually will mill around their pen. If I don't usher them in at that time they wander off and become difficult to get in. If I wait too late and it gets dark they usually head to the kiddie pool and won't get off the water. At that point they need heavy herding or carrying.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I put mine in when it gets dark. I usually have to herd them in, but they're pretty good about it

8. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    We're on the same schedule dust 'til dawn give or take. They are pretty good about going in when I tell them to "go to bed" however, just like any other spoiled animals they have their stubborn nights that requires some hearding and/or carrying them into their condo! (Yes, I call it a duck condo! Spoiled lovebirds!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by