Curiosity

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 14, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    For those of you who let your ducks free range-- what time do you put them up in the evening? In their house(s) or pin(s)?

2. BekahsChicks

BekahsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    My 2 go to bed with their chicken siblings go it's kind of cute the ducks have to keep the chickens in their sights at alll times. And as for time the older chickens start heading for the roost around 430EST and by 530ish it's full dark here now and everyone is bedded down in their coop and I just close the door and they are happy and content till around 7am the next morning (they have food and water in the coop at all times)

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

I am EST we have the same routine going on here! W/ food & water at all times as well! I was just curious as to if I was the only 1 still putting them up so early- but it's getting dark so early here now, you just have too.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Two Threads.....Same thing...

1 person likes this.
  5. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

No idea why?! Ooops!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My chickens are heading inside now between 3:30-4pm and my water fowl usually an hr later. Most of the time not that long since I clean up and put out fresh water for the next day and don't like having to do it after dark. I never leave them out after dark. We have alot of different preds.

I use heated buckets and this year I bought 2 heated chicken waterers to go along with the buckets Plus heated dog bowls for their FF. Spoiled rotten things. lol

1 person likes this.
  7. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    Lol ya sometimes our roo (pretty sure also the oldest) will head for his roost around 330! I go in and shoo him out much to his annoyance. We live on the east side of a mountain/hill ridge and kind of the bottom of a valley in sw Virginia so it starts getting dark around them because the suns on the other side but it's funny we look to a hill top to our east and it's still sun shining lol we tried a flood light in the yard and lights in the coop and they just don't care they still go to bed around the same time!

8. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    @BekahsChicks do you keep a light on them at night? Like in their house/coop? At all? If it's cold? I have 1, however it's not very dim & I think it's more for my ease of mind than for Flossy & Felix![​IMG][​IMG] -- should I not have 1 at all though? Or does iit just depend of preference?

9. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Lol your asking the wrong person about lights this is our first winter up here, moved from south Texas in June. We only had chickens down there and neeevvvver needed to worry about cold! Our house is divided on the issue and we have heat lamps but at the moment have decided that they will only be used if it's going to be less then about 20f for multiple nights and just today we are going to try the deep litter method in addition to closing off breeze ways. Otherwise no no additional light is being used anymore since didn't seem to make a difference! And the current opinion in our house is that if we do need the heat lamps on over night we will use red bulbs as it's said to be less damaging/annoying to their sleep

10. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    I didn't know about the red bulbs! See there! You did inform me!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by