curiosity

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinaSwarr, Apr 4, 2012.

1. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    In the incubator now I have crosses of white leghorn roo and bo hen, what should I expect. see even though I really like my leghorns , I would like some mixes that are a little heavier so maybe they won't be escape artist (they fly over anything I put up). would like to keep the white coloring but in a bigger bird and I do not understand the whole genetic thing..and I just like the look of barnyard mixes.

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    White or white with black spots.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Would that BO be Buff Orpington? If so, probably white or light buff but you can't ever tell for sure

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    yes that is buff orpington, and i shall soon find out.. it is day 18 and 8 of 14 eggs are rocking... I also have some young wyondettes six gold and six silver, hoping to get a rooster in there....... Is there a good book out there that is easy to understand, so that in the future I know what to expect from crosses?

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    This site http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm has some good basic info but it does get deep. The calculators are fun to play with and while they don't always give you the whole story, it's a good learning tool.

But often with these crosses there are so many genes and likelihoods that it's nearly impossible to predict exactly what you might get. Buff has a ton of genes in it really and isn't completely understood always. Plus some buffs are built on different kinds of genes than others, believe it or not. There isn't just one "recipe" to make it.

I am by no means any kind of expert or even all that knowledgeable in the field but there are a few posters here that are, including the one owning the website above. I've learned quite a bit here but it's not all in one convenient place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by