curious about first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matthewjam72, Oct 25, 2010.

1. matthewjam72

matthewjam72 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Beaver Dam,
    I was up at the chicken coop a little before dark tonite and one of my Roos jumped on top of two hens for about 2 mins each so im wondering how long it will be before they will lay an egg

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    One of my 20 week old Marans pullets submitted to two different roosters today. I am curious as well, if this is an indication that she may soon lay. The roos have been doing their darndest to attempt to mount the pullets for some weeks now, but these are the first times they met with success and the pullet tolerated the indignity of it. The pullet in question has had a big red comb and waddles for over three weeks now. Last week I caught her in the nest box four days in a row. I'm hoping it all adds up to the fact that she'll start laying soon.

3. matthewjam72

matthewjam72 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Beaver Dam,
    thats wild mine are 20 weeks today

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

At 20 weeks they are getting close to laying. Although I had a couple wait till 33/35 weeks. I do not think the roo has any say in the matter. I believe it is more of a genetic/health issue. Hens have their own biological clock.

Imp

5. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    I wouldn't figure the roo has anything to do with it, but the fact that the hens allow it is a different story. I know with cows, when the cow stands still and allows the bull to have his way, it means that she is in heat. They call it standing heat. Didn't know if there is a similar situation in the poultry world.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. If the rooster's matings were a good indicator, I would have had eggs from my juvenile flock at 10 weeks of age. That's about the time my darling cockerel Impy started trying his luck with the pullets. [​IMG]

Once the pullets actually submit and aren't just being molested, it's getting close.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    My experience is limited. With my EE's and now again with my Buff Orpingtons, they did not willing submit until (as it turned out) shortly before they started laying. If the rooster approached them earlier, they went running, screaming, the other way (that was a sight in itself.. [​IMG] [​IMG] ). It seems like it was from 2 to 4 weeks before they started laying. My guess has been that the rooster has nothing to do with when the hen will lay, but her biological clock lets her know when she is ready to submit, if that makes sense.

8. shortstaque

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. If she weren't getting close to ready, she would give him the cold shoulder. Instinctively she knows when its time to do what has to be done to carry on the race. Her cooperation in essence is a sign of her approaching maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by