Curious About Gender For New Babies, And Which Roo For One... (Easter Egger and Barred Rock or EE an

VintageLilFarm

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2012
The Great Northwest
These are my hatchlings. They all hatched within the last 10 days.

I believe the first three are Easter Eggers under Barred Rock. The last hatchling has a yellow face, unlike the other three. I am wondering if the roo is also the BR or if it is my Black Sumatra? If they are all EE and BR, they have the same parents. I also hatched an EE under EE. Is there any sexing "rules" for those in the first couple of weeks? If so, I will post.

I am also wondering if the sexing "rules" apply since they are mixed? Any guesses on gender?

And, will any that are hens (if any) produce olive colored eggs?

Chick One, EE under BR, white spot of head, black face

Chick One , Black splash on feet

Chick Two, EE under BR, largish white spot on head and one wing, black face

Chick 2, EE under BR, Black Splash on feet

Chick 3, EE under BR, tiny white spot on head, black face

Chick 3, EE under BR, Black Splash on feet

Chick 4, EE under Barred Rock OR IS IT under Black Sumatra?
Yellow face, small spot on head

Chick 4, no black splash -- is this because of gender? Or is breed different?

I hatched an BR/EE last year. She lays an olive egg. As long as your EE's are blue egg layers, I think the pullets should lay a green egg. She should have a pea comb, too, from what I hear.

I'm not good at sexing newborns unless they're pure BR's.

All your chicks have a white head spot to one degree or another, so they're all from your barred rock roo.

The rules for sexing barred birds at hatch by the size of the head spot only apply to pure bred barred birds, ie both parents are barred. One barred parent voids the rules, so you just have to wait until six weeks or so to tell who's who!

If your ee hens laid green eggs, chances are you'll get something like an OD or muddy green colored egg.

Thanks everybody -- I just wasn't sure on that last one since 'her' face is also yellow. I wasn't sure if Sumatras have a dot on head as chicks. I'm glad I can come here to ask!

Back
Top Bottom