1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curious about Hurricane plans and your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by write2caroline, Sep 5, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Hurricane Earl is missing us but I was wondering if anyone has plans in case of hurricanes.

My coops all have high interiors and two are up 4 feet on stilts just in case but I thought I would ask.

I come from the land of Earthquakes and have moved into the Hurricane territory. Earthquakes kind of just happen but hurricanes move kind of slow and there is a lot of notice usually ahead of time.

I guess I was thinking about staying prepared for bad weather wondering if anyone has a wish list of stuff they could or should do. I know..... best plans..... but its not such a bad idea to have ideas from others in what they do.

Our biggest threat is after. We collect water in buckets during the storm because we usually lose power which means no water for days until it is restored.

Caroline

2. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I think most people close them up in the coop against the wind -- which is OK if the coop does not blow down.

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    You might want to consider if your coop needs extra measures taken to keep it from blowing over. Some people use those kids playhouses that are not on foundations. They could probably use some tie downs if hurricane winds are coming.

Have extra water stored. (for everybody)

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We are prepared to evacuate, chickens included, if a strong cat 2 hurricane or greater hits us. I have cages and crates ready to go. The biggest problem is matching up hens who dont pick/peck at each other. I got that figured out this past winter when I put them in the garage at night during our record night time cold temps. For less intense hurricanes, their house is up on stilts, 3 feet off the ground. We have the usual hurricane emergency supplies as well as a chainsaw and generator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by