Curious about my Wood Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eraymundo, Nov 29, 2016.

1. eraymundo

eraymundo New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Newton, Kansas
    I have a male wood duck, his name is Brownie, I've had him since May of this year I found him alone he was about 2 weeks old, and I've raised him, he is now a juvenile and I only have him and I know a lot of sites say it's bad to have just one duck cause they get lonely. I just want to know how I could show him to migrate for breeding/winter. I live in Kansas, he's a great little guy and he's very honorey. [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Releasing him after he has bonded and been raised domestically might not be the best idea, but I'm not completely sure...

@attimus has a female wood duck they rescued, I would ask advice from someone who has raised a single wood duck as well... :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    It's best if you find him a friend! :)

4. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is a serious federal offense to "rescue", possess, trade, sell, give away or etc a wood duck, or other migratory federal bird. Google Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Those of us that legally raise(d) them are required to have federal permits (and in some cases, like ours, also state permits). You have posted on a public online forum.

Yes, since he has been human raised since a duckling, he may have some issues reverting back to a completely wild duck. Then again, even legally raised, captive wood ducks tend to stay "wild" even though they have been captive bred for many generations.

My best advise would be to suggest contacting wildlife rehab or game warden and ask for forgiveness and surrender Brownie to them. I understand you were rescuing the little duckling and were not aware of the laws. Now, just be forewarned, that they may not exempt you from some type of "punishment" for breaking the law. The main thing is to get Brownie to were he needs to be.

Hope this helps and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Given that the duck has been with the OP since it was a duckling and has obviously imprinted deeply, returning it to the wild now is more likely to be a death sentence than a favor... besides the fact that most rehabbers would not be able to give full time commitment to reversing domestic habits and reinstalling wild habits and social abilities so is more likely the duck would end up euthanized...

Milk has already been spilled, best to just wipe it up and continue on IMO...

4 people like this.
  6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    agreed

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    You have done something illegal, but if you go and get a permit im sure it would be fine to keep him as long as you dont say that you got him from the wild. (this is kind of illegal, but i wont tell if you wont[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Contact Wild Life in your area......You wont be in trouble......Lots of people have done the same thing.....They will come and remove the Bird to either let him free now or wait till spring?

You wont be Charged if your honest and do it ASAP..........

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I don't think they will punish you if you didn't know...it's not the kind of thing that you know in your gut is wrong(like maybe it's wrong to rob stores, I've never seen a law against it though... bad example)
    Just say you just learned it's against the law and want make it right.

1 person likes this.
  10. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a GOOD looking duck.... I don't know if you need to "show" him to migrate. He will or he won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by