Curious about quail, bob-whites and more

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crj, Jul 3, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have chickens and ducks. I have noticed that many raise quail and many the sell eggs. I would like to know if these birds are raised as pets, which I've never heard of, meat birds or for hunting lodges. I probably will never raise any but I am curious. I do see pheasants and other birds, for sale. I always known them as wild birds. It just surprises me a bit and would like to know more about them. Thanks

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Well, Me? ......... Quail means Bobwhite [​IMG] ................... And I raise them to EAT [​IMG]

3. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I raise both coturnix and bobwhites. I currently have pharaoh, tibetan, manchurian, texas a&m, tuxedo, and african harlequin coturnix. In bobwhites I have northern, white, mexican speckled and tennessee red. I mainly raise them as pets, however I do eat the coturnix eggs, mainly on top of fish eggs for sushi. I recently sold about 90 coturnix. They are egg machines. I don't have as many bobwhites but I just like the variety. They are delicious as well so I don't give them names, but I don't necessarily eat the bobwhites because I don't have as many of them and my fertility rate is much better out of the coturnix. However, I am slowly switching over to bobwhites and I only have a few coturnix left because of the noise. I will say they are all fun to raise. Plus I recently hatched some gambels and blue scaled quail.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "I would like to know if these birds are raised as pets, which I've never heard of, meat birds or for hunting lodges." YES, AS IN ALL 3 + FOR EGG LAYING AS WELL....

"I always known them as wild birds" MOST ARE, EVEN IN DOMESTIC CAPTIVITY.

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Agreed [​IMG] Ahhh Yes...............the 8th wonder of the world.........when my Bob crowd starts whistling at sundown, and what few wild Bobs there around here start whistling back out on the knoll down in the pasture........There's not a more soothing sound on the plantet. [​IMG]

6. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Oh i can't wait too hear that whistle of the Bob's when does it start? I know i have awhile to go but I can't wait!!

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    My husband and I went to pick up some 8 week old chickens today. The woman had a pen with bobwhites in it. They were so pretty. I have to agree with you guys that they make a wonderful "bobwhite" sound. These were a grayish brown with white around there eyes and a black stripe. Very pretty. They were her husbands pets. They are so small........ lol........ Well, compared to my chickens.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:USUALLY WITH THE 1ST BREEDING SEASON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by