Curious about "supplements" for chickens' water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Calero clucks, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Calero clucks

Calero clucks New Egg

Jan 22, 2016
    When I raised pet birds...parakeets, Quaker parrots, and Cockatiels, I almost always added a vitamin supplement to their water, although they were very well nourished, high quality food, fresh veggies and fruit, etc. I am VERY new with chickens, and wondered what, if anything. some of you more experienced chicken keepers added to your coop's waterers, if anything? Thank you.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Too much protein is bad for chickens to if you are going to give them Vitamin packs a would do it once or twice a month.Many people put Apple cider vinegar in there chickens waterer every day.Same with Oregano drops.

Personally the option to free rage is the best Vitamin for chickens.If thats a option they wont need any vitamins.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like you are taking a census.

Personally I do not add anything to the water. Just plain fresh water a couple of times a day. Clean the water station regularly. I give vitamins on an individual "as needed" basis.

A lot of people do add supplements, garlic, acv, oregano, etc., etc., to their water - which is fine. There are many articles here on BYC and the web that list add in ingredients, so you may want to do some research and determine if any of them are right for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by