Curious about Tough Duck Egg Membranes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allergymama, Oct 21, 2014.

1. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Hardboiled some of our duck eggs this evening (we have hard boiled duck eggs before, but always were someone else's ducks. This is the first time from our own ducks with our own feed.) The membranes were TOUGH! I'm guessing it's feed? But maybe other environmental? I'd only hard boiled Rouen & Runners before...maybe because this is from a Pekin? They eat an organic locally milled layer feed at night and free range all day. The reason I am asking is because at some point in the future we plan on letting someone nest around here and am worried that if my hard fingernails had trouble getting through the membrane how will a little tiny duckling? Just curious. TIA

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    I have Pekin and Muscovy eggs and all had tough membranes. Consider that the duck inside is pecking out with a sharp beak. He only has to peck one area and break through, then just keep working at it. It can take the duckling quite a while to peck out. It's very different from hard-boiling the eggs and then peeling them. The tiny ducklings are pretty skilled at getting out. (I rarely boil our eggs due to the tough membrane making peeling quite difficult.)

3. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you!

4. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    How long do you boil your eggs for? I have Rouens and have yet to boil their eggs.

5. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    I poke the air sac end (fat end) with a pin or thumbtack...just through the shell, so not very far in (otherwise, they are impossible to peel unless you let them sit in your refrigerator for several, and by that I mean like 3 or 4, weeks). Then, I place in cold water to an inch above and bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes...but this is for the Pekin which are a little larger. For Rouen eggs, I would only go 13 or 14 minutes. Then cool as quickly as possible by running cold water over them or dunking them in ice water.

6. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010

Awesome thanks!

7. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    An update and lesson learned.

Accidentally pulled the eggs They laid today for hard boiled instead of the older ones. DON'T DO THIS! When I tried to peel them, there was about 1/4" layer of slimy egg white under the shell. Even if I managed to leave it on while peeling it rinsed off in the water (I always rinse because I always get little pieces of shell left behind). I also did 2 that I got yesterday and those were fine. :idunno

8. patolocoeggs

patolocoeggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Lake Orion, MI
    This is the method I use all the time for hard boiling my duck eggs and it works perfect. Place eggs in pot of water that covers the eggs about an inch. Heat till water boils then turn off heat and cover pot. Let stand for 18 minutes and then remove eggs and rinse them in cold water while peeling the shells off. No thick membranes, no slimy whites, everything perfect and yummy! I raise Ancona ducks that produce large sized eggs.

9. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    I have tried every method I've read—boiling, start to boil and let sit, steaming, steaming and dropping into ice water, boiling and immediately peeling, boiling and waiting to cool to peel, leaving in frig 3 or 4 weeks before boiling—and none worked perfectly. Steaming seemed to work the best, but unless you really love boiled duck eggs, you may not find it worth the effort. I was boiling muscovy eggs and I can't remember with pekin eggs if I boiled them or not. Just remember to try a small batch and see if you have the desired results. Currently, I boil chicken eggs and bake with or fry duck eggs. It's easier that way for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by