Curious behavior for a molting Cuckoo Maran

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LT, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have a Cuckoo Maran who is about 1 and 1/2 years old going through her first major molt. She had a mini molt last winter and lost some of her neck feathers. This time, after a very long and hot summer, she lost all of her wing feathers, tail feathers and most of her breast and belly feathers. She looks rather pitiful, and I think she is quite embarrassed. Her new feathers are coming in nicely, and I have been giving her some buttermilk with a scrambled egg mixed in once a week or so for an extra protein boost. Here is my question: for the last two nights she has slept in the nest box. Our temperatures have dropped down into the low 50's for the last couple of nights. Is she cold? Why would she all of the sudden stop roosting with the others?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could be right, it could be for warmth. They often seem to be quite uncomfortable with a heavy molt, as in, "lap chickens" who don't want to be held for a while. Maybe the usual cuddling together on the roost was bothering her. Of course there could be another reason, but I would guess it's one or both of these.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Thanks. She has definitely not been her usual friendly self. Last week our temperatures were quite hot, and then all of the sudden the temperatures dropped fairly dramatically. She seems fine otherwise and still enjoys free ranging with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by