Curious Behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Queen of the chickens, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I have just recently noticed that some of our chicks open their beaks as if to squawk, but no sound comes out. It almost looks like they are gagging. Anybody know what this behavior means?

2. ci_cyfarth

ci_cyfarth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2011
    Columbia, MO
    Panting, maybe? What's the temperature like in your brooder? How do they arrange themselves in relation to the beam of your heat lamp?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    There's only two times I've ever seen them do this, if they're panting (it gets very hot at summer out here - like cyfarth said, check that they're not too warm) or sometimes they do it if they're eating and are trying to get something to go down. But if everyone's opening their beaks, this is probably unlikely.

4. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had 2 birds at 3 weeks old doing this. They just got something caught in their throat and trying to get it down. It kind of looks like a silent crow. Ive noticed this especially when the chicks go outside and try foods they have never tried before.

5. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I don't think it's heat related panting. I usually happens when we have them out and are cuddling them or take them outside. It does look exactly like a silent crow. I wondered if young cockerels attempt to crow before they can make sound and that's what they are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by