Curious black chick

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by polishcourt, Dec 10, 2014.

1. polishcourt

polishcourt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Bigfoot Texas
    This may be obvious to some but my question is I have a buff silkie roo and then 1 of each blue splash golden laced and partridge Cochins it's obvious who two of the chicks came from but there is one solid black chick I'm wondering which cochin produced this offspring with the buff roo

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s not that often that something is real obvious with chicken genetics, but this one isn’t too bad. It came from the Blue Cochin.

A Buff rooster with the Gold Laced or Partridge will give a reddish chick. The exact shade of red can be interesting and will sometimes surprise you.

Blue and Splash should be based on Extended Black. It’s possible it could be something else but it is usually Extended Black. The Blue gene modifies that black to either Splash or Blue. Your Splash Cochin has two copies of the Blue gene so she will give one of those to her offspring. The Buff does not have any blue genes so the offspring from the Splash will be Blue. The Extended Black overpowers whatever gene the rooster has at that location and the one Blue gene turns the Black into Blue color.

The Blue hen has only one Blue gene. She might or might not pass that down to her offspring. Obviously she did not so the chick is Black. A Blue chick could have come from either the Splash or the Blue Cochin. A Black chick can only come from the Blue.

This might help you understand how the Blue gene works. Remember we are talking about a gene pair at that position on the DNA so two genes are present.

Two copies of the Blue gene turns any black feathers to Splash.

One copy of the Blue gene turns any black feathers Blue.

Zero copies of the Blue gene leaves black feathers Black.

3. polishcourt

polishcourt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Bigfoot Texas
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and explain :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by