Curious??? Have you ever....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mom'sfolly, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    not posted to a thread or answered a thread in a PM because you felt your opinion would not be respected, or that it would open you up to criticism or hostility from other forum members?

In other words, do you "bite your tongue" on some topics, either to keep the peace or to protect yourself?

I know I have, and I wonder if others do this as well. I'm just curious about how much self monitoring goes on in a basically anonymous forum. I also wonder if newer or older members are more likely to self monitor.

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    All the time......[​IMG]

3. Krysstyllanthrox

Krysstyllanthrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Tulsa
    As Facebook has reminded me, don't put anything out on the net that you wouldn't be comfortable with your Granny finding out.

So yes, I censor. But not because of what (or who) is here, more of a "would I be comfortable with Granny finding out about this?"

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

mom'sfolly :

not posted to a thread or answered a thread in a PM because you felt your opinion would not be respected, or that it would open you up to criticism or hostility from other forum members?

In other words, do you "bite your tongue" on some topics, either to keep the peace or to protect yourself?

I know I have, and I wonder if others do this as well. I'm just curious about how much self monitoring goes on in a basically anonymous forum. I also wonder if newer or older members are more likely to self monitor.

That is exactly why I prefer the written medium of communication over speech. I have a much harder time censoring brain to mouth than I do brain to fingers. Sometimes I wish there was an ignore feature so I could ignore a thread and not be tempted to open it again. [​IMG]

5. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Yes, which is why sometimes I'll talk to certain people through PM's so that's it's not public.

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I am with Hoosiermomma on this one... I lay low most of the time [​IMG]

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I do this also. I've also had people do this to me. However, if someone wants to pm me to pick on me, or they feel I am doing that to them, then it's perfectly okay not to respond... it should actually be encouraged [​IMG]

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Oh yea, and publicly been slapped for my opinion. So, I am even more cautious now.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

mom'sfolly :

Absolutely!!!!!​

10. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    Oh yes! Lurk more often then not. I started a thread once and was slammed (by some and defended by others!) for my feelings. Now, I mainly keep them to myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by