Curious...how do you call your chickens to you?

aprhardy

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
Floyd Va
I'm still new to the chicken game, I was raised on a dairy farm, and now live on another dairy farm with my bf, I know with cattle you can develop a "call" so to speak and the cattle will come to you. Does anyone do this for chickens? I've tried one on mine and the hens usually ignore me and my roo's will bowl everyone over to get to me, (they know I have treats). My bf says I sound like I'm chicken yodeling, but it usually consists of "here chick chick chick" repeated several times.

Just curious if I'm the only nut ball out standing in their yard trying to "call" their chickens.

If this is something that works, how young do you start getting them used to "the call"? I have new chicks coming in a couple weeks and would really like a way to call them to me when they're older and out foraging.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

I just walk out and say, "here girls" and they come running.
wee.gif
They know there is usually a treat involved!
BTW, I trained mine with mini animal crackers, and they all know their names! (not the animal crackers
lau.gif
gig.gif
) Who said chickens are stupid?

Jen

Our girls come running and flapping from hither and yon to greet us the minute they hear the back door open. They'll stop whatever they're doing. Every once in a blue moon, they will be busy with some juicy bug or something they found & I'll have to call them. I make a clicking sound with my tongue and call, "Chick chick chick!"

So no, you're not the only hoo-haw in the yard calling their chickens.
smile.png

BTW, I trained mine with mini animal crackers, and they all know their names! (not the animal crackers )

yuckyuck.gif

Haha thanks for the tip on animal crackers. I'd have never thought about using those, I usually use Cheerio's. How young did you start training yours?​

Most of the time, I'm trying to sneak out of the house so they don't all come thundering up, LOL. They were all trained to come to the shaking of the scratch can, so most will come to that sound if they haven't already surrounded me.

Thanks HHandbasket it's always nice to know I'm not the only looney in the bucket! LOL!

speckledhen: I usually shake the treat/scratch container, which is what sends my roo's flying up the yard to me, but with the exception of maybe one or two hens, the rest just look at me like "uh huh what do you want" and continue what they're doing, if the "treat fest" goes on long enough they'll get curious and come check it out, but for the most part they keep their distance from me.

**side note*** These are not hens I raised, I bought them from a guy in town, they're 2+ years old. Speckled Sussex, Columbian Wyandettes, and Dominique's.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Haha thanks for the tip on animal crackers. I'd have never thought about using those, I usually use Cheerio's. How young did you start training yours?

Oh, gee, you would ask that. I dunno, maybe three months? I have done this with 4 batches, I really don't remember. Since the 1st girls were already trained, it made it easier to train the others. Something along the lines of "monkey see monkey do"

Jen

Mine stalk the doors and if they hear one opening, they come running looking for treats! Mine will do anything for grapes or scratch. They see a red coffee can, they come running. I can also call them, either using "chickens!" or "cmon girls" and they will come. Start when they are little and they will know the routine when they get older.

Back
Top Bottom