Curious if anyone has any pet stick insects?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Jan 23, 2009.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I was looking around last night online and came across someone owning a spiny leaf insect. I've only seen them on tv before. I have seen the ones that you usually think of when you hear of a stick insect. A pet store around here had some baby ones on display and I've seen one when I was younger on the side walk and didn't even know they had them around where I was living. They seemed kind of plain but after looking and noticing the other types there are some interesting ones. I was wondering if anyone had any cause I read some types can eat bramble. Where do you get the bramble at since I know everyone probably doesn't have it around or maybe not much of it and where to get it during the winter? If anyone does have any, what type do you have? Please share your photos if you have any.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have praying mantis. Not sticks. He lives in a reptile cage in my dining room....I let him walk around sometime but not to much as we have cats. I dont have any photos of him...

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I use to have some pray mantis' that I would catch off my friend's grandmother's bushes outside of her house. Only problem I had with them was they kept wanting to fly at my hair. Had one that we had a plastic gallon sized ice cream bucket that we caught it in but it was so huge that it was slainted in the bucket so we let it go.

4. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Here are some youtube videos of some sticks.

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I would love to have one or many!

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I can remember when I was kid, us kids brought a mantis nest in the house and put it in the frig, well they hatched, hundreds of them, mom was not happy one bit over that...................we thought it was alot of fun catching them all, but mom didnt see the humor it like we did...............

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I found a praying mantis baby last year and let it go. WE always found stick bugs in Fl . I am no a bug person.

8. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Some insects I can't stand and others I like. I use to have a couple of pet wolf spiders (the fast fury ones that bite). Also some slugs and snails. I can not stand grasshoppers. When I was a little kid I picked up the lid on our garbage can outside and a huge one was under the lid and that scared me to death. I ran into the house. I also hate camel crickets. Afraid they will jump into my hair. Also one time I had a cricket cage out in a closed in porch for my lizard at the time and when I went to feed him I usually have gloves on cause I don't want a cricket touching my hands. This time I didn't and used a cup to scoop them out and my hand brushed something. I looked in and I seen some really long legs and almost dropped the cage after seeing it. I got looking a little more and there were two others in the cage with it. I made my boyfriend get them out. He didn't find them scary. I'm afraid of large beetles flying around at night, mosquitos, insects that sting, and parasites especially tape worms. I don't mind butterflies/moths, flies, millipedes, lightning bugs, scorpions, and other harmless and noncreepy looking ones. Don't mind looking at them in cages unless it is a grasshopper or camel cricket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by