Curious if anyone has raised meat birds in the city

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by amandacv86, Sep 21, 2012.

1. amandacv86

amandacv86 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    I would like to, at least once, have the experience in raising my own meat. Even if I went on to buy all of the meat during the rest of my life from the store, I think it would give me a better understanding and appreciation for the life that was lost.

That being said, I live in the city and I'm not supposed to have chickens. Waah! [​IMG]

So, There's an area along the back wall of our shed (8-10 ft long) that you can't see from the street, nor do I think any of the neighbors can see. I have a design in mind for kind of a chicken hutch. Something their poop could just fall through. As their poop builds up, I could just layer hay to make a pretty nice compost.

Or....could I just build them a coop, and layer the hay instead of fully cleaning it out, since they'll only be in there about 8 weeks anyway?

This is all hypothetical and I don't know anything about this so I thought I would ask the pros! [​IMG]

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I live in urban Los Angeles and have had chickens for 2 + years now. I have some more ornamental chickens, some laying chickens and a few dual purpose birds. I have not done a meat bird yet, but after processing my first dual purpose this year I am considering it. In the city of LA I am allowed to have 5 hens legally....I may have more than that.....maybe :) My yard is really small. I have a simple coop with roosts and nests on the "second floor" and a small run on the bottom. I let the birds out in the yard most days.

I would consider your neighbors and whether or not they would notice or care. If no one reports you then you are good to go. Also look into what the penalty would be. I think it is usually just a small fine, but it would be good to know in case something does happen. You could also call animal control and find out if there is any way to apply for a permit or a variance.

Roosters are illegal in LA but I hear them all the time so I think a lot depends on your backyard and your neighborhood. I try to follow close to the rules but I fudge a little and feel confident that no one cares.

Let me know if you want to talk city birds!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well you don't say how wide your 8 ft area could be. There are limits to how dense you can have your chickens. A raise hutch would make the poop easier to clean but would be hard on their feet. I also don't know how big is your yard. I can tell you I believe you can do this.
    1st they are going to be in a brooder for a few weeks. Second you could process them early. Some people process at 4 week for cornish hens. I think if you are going to be responsible for a life it should be as good as you can make it until it is time to end it with kindness and gratitude.

You can also pool an order so that you can do less than 25 at a time. If space is limited and you aren't moving their coop then you need to read about the space limitations.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Cornish Cross don't make much noise and they are butchered before they crow.

They can get stinky if you don't keep them cleaned up diligently. I don't know about leaving the poop sitting there under the hutch. If you put a bit of yogurt in their drinking water it goes a long ways towards making their poop normal and a lot less smelly.

If there are fines if the neighbors turn you in, that is something to consider.

If you live where chickens are not allowed, I suggest that you raise some meat rabbits, instead. Or better yet, just move to a neighborhood where you are allowed to have a couple of chickens.

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Jumbo Coturnix quail raise on wire above ground. They are good dual purpose.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's replies, and sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I was out of town for the weekend. Anyway, my mom's neighbor has two hens, and I just loved them! My mom said they are about 9 years old, and one lays an egg a day. I would talk to them and I brought them some grapes, too!

Anyway, I'm already getting some coturnix quail either tomorrow or Tuesday. I want them tomorrow, but want to spray the aviary with a mild bleach solution and give it at least 24 hours to fully dry out, so it'll probably be Tuesday. I'm thinking about raising them for meat, but I need to work on getting an incubator and brooder first, because at $3 a piece, it's not very cost efficient to not breed them myself. I can't wait for my first eggs!

I'm not willing to raise meat rabbits at this point, because I have two indoor pet rabbits. Never say never, though! Has anyone either raised meat rabbits and had pet rabbits before? How do you mentally separate them?

The fact that they would be inside for four weeks then only outside for four more, or I could process them early, makes it seem way more possible. Also that they are processed before they crow.

I think I could make it 8x6 or 8x8 after the other shed is taken out. I could be wrong because my clothes line is very close to it. I do want them to have as happy of a life as possible. I'm probably not even going to do this until early next summer (earliest) or early fall so I'm researching early. Thanks!

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Wow! The hen still laying 1 egg a day at 9 years old. If it is true, I would find a rooster and get some fertilized hatching eggs from that hen.

8. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    I agree! That's some good genes! :D I don't think her Mama's interested in that, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by