Curious, is salmonella ever passed from infected hen to chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DerbyChook, Aug 24, 2010.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    If I get chicks and hatching eggs from NPIP farms, does that mean that the chicks/eggs will not be infected? Thanks! I am sure this has been covered, but I can't find a thread about it through the search function.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I am thinking that my "home" chickens do not have salmonella. To me it looks like it's a chicken warehouse type thing.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

salmonella is an omnipresent bacteria

healthy animals and humans do not show symptoms of it because the immune system keeps it in check

salmonella can be passed from hen to egg, that's why you should get eggs/chicks/chickens only from NIPI flocks/places.

salmonella is most common or in high enough concentrations to cause salmonellosis when crowded conditions and sick animals are present at the same time.

This only becomes a risk to humans or animals eating unprepared (uncooked, improperly cooked) food or using unsafe cooking practices - (dragging/spilling an uncooked egg on the surface where salad or cooked food is prepared. )

It can be carried in wild animals and passed in their droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by