curious, not a emergency but she isn't getting feathers like others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grunt soldier, May 8, 2011.

1. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    well i bought 2 easter eggers from a breeder and they seemed to be pretty crammed in and i thought they might have been standing on each other to much. the ones feathers have grown in well but this one looks like something might be wrong. maybe 11-12 weeks old? just guessing. its appears to be on her back and down by her tail feathers. it doesn't look infected to me but these are my first chickens. also they just finished their first big bag of food that was medicated and i am about to put them on the older chick food and they are really beginning to free range a couple hours out of the day. any help is appreciated. let me know if i am just over reacting or if something might be wrong.

pics of where i can notice it the most
    [​IMG]

here is another shot of it
    [​IMG]

and here is what her sister looks like already
    [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It looks like feather picking damage or roo damage to me. She's a bit young to have roo damage, so I think you may have a feather picker in the group. Have you checked for external parasites? Here's a good bug link:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

If you have checked for bugs and come up clear then I would be looking at your other birds as the culprits.

Good luck.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you call the breeder and find out their age. If they are 11-12 weeks of age, you should continue to feed them chick starter/grower til they are 18-20 weeks old or when one of them lays her first egg. Then feed them layer feed commencing at that time.
    Overcrowding can cause picking/pecking accompanied by feather loss. Just ensure they have plenty of space when the roost for the night.
    Lice/mites can cause feather loss. Pick each one up and visually inspect them for lice or mites. Here's a link for you to read:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    The hen in question could possibly be at the bottom of the pecking order and getting picked on. If this is the case, put Vick's Vapor Rub on, in and around th earea being picked...it will deter the others from picking it.
    The breeder couldve had a rooster going after the hen as well...overmating possibly, but I doubt it...
    You have some pretty EE's. Good luck.

4. grunt soldier

Apr 5, 2011
    I have not checked for parasites as she is very weary of people I got her from a breeder and both her and her sister looked like that but sis's have grown back. Hers appear to maybe be starting too itsjust taking much longer. I guess I need to order some DE and put it in the water and all in the coop. Thanks

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    you need to keep them on start and grow medicated (or not) until you get your first egg. or 20 weeks..I have one like that and he got pecked by another chicken and it healed and is starting to re feather. I would dust them with DE permaguard or make them a dustin area with it..I love it and dont have anyproblems with lice or mites.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Why do you want to put DE in their water? That wont do anything. DE is used as a drying agent.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I had one like that. She got a little bald on top of her head too. I eventually used the pour on ivermectin along with the poultry dusting and Scarlet Oil sprayed on the legs. Did this a couple times and now you'd never recognize her. Treat all chickens, coop and run area thoroughly for mites, lice, etc.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont recommend ivermectin pour on for use on chicks to control or kill lice/mites. Ivermectin pour on is primarily a wormer. The chicks innards are still developing and growing. Ivermectin use could possibly cause internal damage to developing organs.

9. grunt soldier

Apr 5, 2011
    Quote:Why do you want to put DE in their water? That wont do anything. DE is used as a drying agent.

Honestly I was going to dust them with the DE and their area. I had read that putting it in the water was basically like a internal frontline but I dont honestly know if it works or not. I am going to continue feeding them chick feed I was just going to switch to the chick finisher vs the starter for when they are little. Again I'm new to this still. I have 8 chickens and there coop is 4 foot wide 4 foot high x 8 foot long which gives each of them 4 square foot of living space. The roost bar is 8 foot long so they have lots of room. She is the second biggest chick so who knows. I will get her tonight when she is sleeping and check.

Hopefully no bugs yet as cold as it's been in Indiana.

Thanks for all the help thus far

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by