Curious on becoming a breeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by JakRat, Jul 8, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I would love to start breeding heritage/heirloom breeds. Nothing crazy, just kinda like as a hobbie. How does one go about starting this and is there any literature on it?

Thanks!

2. caspaintcountry

caspaintcountry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Princeville
    Find a current breeder, purhaps one you get your birds from, and talk with them. Myself, have had poultry but never worried about pure breeds a few years ago. This year I got the best stock I could find, and afford, a new incubator, and excited to get going this next season. I have a website kindof started. My stock has been tested by the state and NPIP # on its way. I joined the ABA(American Bantam Association) and NCBA(National Call Breeders of America) and keep in contact with whom I got my start from. I also started to show my birds, most are very helpful and will share there exsperiances. I'm still learning myself too, but its been fun so far!

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I would love to follow your website!

I am really interested in breeding the rare breeds like the buckeye, salmon Favorelles and what not for people to raise and appreciate their rareness.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section of this forum you will find threads on heirloom breeds and a thread for most any standard breed, with discussion about what to breed for, etc.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's a fun hobby. You will enjoy yourself.

I suggest that you start with good quality birds from a show breeder. Then the chickens that you breed will be of good quality.

Sometimes the chicks from hatcheries, while they are lovely pets, do not look like purebreds. If you are going to breed rare breed chickens, you will want to start with nice purebreds so you can be very proud of the chicks that you sell.

6. caspaintcountry

caspaintcountry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Princeville
    [​IMG] My website is super new and I haven't done much with it yet. Mostly use the internet on my phone and it only allows me to do so much. We havent upgraded our home with a PC yet but will soon do so hopefully if all our plans to relocate work out. But you, and anyone else is welcome to check it out! [​IMG]

paintedfeathersfarm.webs.com

You'll read it on the site but I have desided to focus on Bantam Speckled Sussex and 3 colors of call ducks. (well thats kind of changed due to a couple surprise ducklings!! I guess it'll be 4 varieties) Anyways I was going to work with two breeds of chickens but changed my mind. I have been recommended that it is better to give focus on one or two things rather than try to work with a bunch. In fact depending how next year goes I may get out of two varieties of the calls so I can focus on my favorites. Only time will tell. It has been a blast! Some family and friend think I'm crazy but all well!

7. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:DO you get papers like you do with dogs? I am totally new to this so I have silly questions. Do you have to get permits and what not? How long does it take to go from getting the chickens to breeding them to having the babies and then when can you sell them?

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    No, poultry is raised in flocks, not as individuals. Your "pedigree" on your birds is the name and reputation of the breeder.

Give you an example: you buy Pomeranian geese from me. When you go to sell your hatchlings, you tell people that the stock is from Oregon Blues and that my stock was originally based on Holderread.

Then the people that buy from you, when they go to sell stock, they tell their buyers that their stock came from JakRat, and that JakRat got their stock from Oregon Blues.

As you can guess, your reputation as a breeder becomes very valuable. You want people to be saying that you sell exactly what you promise, so that they know it is safe to buy birds from you and that they will get quality healthy birds and that you won't cheat them.

If you want to ship birds and eggs across state lines, you will probably have to get an NPIP number (National Poultry Improvement Program, I think is what that stand for). If you google NPIP and the name of your state, you will find information about the requirements.

Also, you will want to check for state regulations about selling eggs, egg packaging, and dressed bird (slaughter) health requirements.

9. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Great thanks!!!!

I am a firm believer in quality and reputation. Why do something if you dont do it 100% right! We have all been cheated ( me recently on my newest chick purchase from a local hatcher) and it is very irritating.

I would like to focus on one or two breeds and make sure that they are good quality healthy happy beautiful birds. Chickens bring so much joy !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by