Curious on my upcoming hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by olijo123, Dec 27, 2013.

1. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Hi everybody! Last year was my first hatching ever with an incubator. I put 7 Swedish Flower eggs in the incubator, and 3 hatched. As they got older I found out I had a rooster and two hens! I absolutely love them and they are a rare breed. So come spring I am hatching eggs from them. But the rooster has one foot with crooked toes to the side but he can walk fine. I was just curious to know if it will pass down to my next hatch from him??? I'm not concerned about this, I'm just curious. Does it matter?

2. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    It could be a result of something that happened during his own incubation, an injury from his chick-days, or a genetic malformation. Do you know if his toes were crooked when he hatched, or if this condition developed over time?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it might not have been warm enough in incubator.

4. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    You could be right! It was my first hatch, so I'm not that experienced with hatching. But the temp. in my incubator stays constant and I always checked it, so it might be something hereditary.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    He was hatched with crooked toes. I have also heard humidity levels can cause it, but I kept the humidity levels stable pretty good. Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by