1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curious Orps (Silkie Chick)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Sep 3, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

This is just too cute not to mention. I have my silkie hen and her week-old chick on the grass in a small pen out in the back yard. My Orpington hens had never seen the chick until today, and they're now standing around the pen trying to get the best view of the chick that they can. I wonder if they remember the silkie hen, Victoria, and when she was in the same coop as they were a month ago today. Hmmm, now that I think of it, since they're only 16 weeks old, they've never seen a baby chick before. They're probably wondering what it is; they sure are curious about it.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Or they're wondering "How can I get in there and EAT it?"

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:ROFL Could be!

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Another thought they could be having, "What is that they're eating and how could I get to it"

My hens love it when the babies free-range at the same time of day as they do. The adults charge into the baby pen a promptly scarf up leftover chick feed and any uneaten treats. It's like letting a vacuum cleaner tidy up the peep pen.

They rarely mess with the chicks, only the 'teens' peck on the the babies. But I have never let the hens see a brand new chick. I've watched the way they eye the songbirds in the yard [​IMG]
    "Yum. Sunflower fattened goldfinch!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by