1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

curious question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckAcres, Dec 15, 2012.

1. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    why is it when we incubate eggs the temp has to stay at 99.5 but when a chicken sets on the eggs the temp varies because of the hen getting off the eggs and going out to stretch or eat and drink . The temp of the eggs has to drop if not being set on for a bit right? so why is it so important that the egg temp has to stay at 99.5? whats your thoughts?

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, you can run at a higher temperature, but run the risk of deadly temperature spikes. I always run mine between 99-100 because my house temps change with the weather, literally, and so my incubator does. That way if I'm running at 100 and the house warms up, my temps may go to 101 or 102, but nothing detrimental. Likewise if the house cools off the temps may drop to 97 or 98, but I'm quick to see it and make adjustments, with no harmful side effects. It's really just finding the safest medium.

3. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    but that still dont explain the difference between incubating and a hen sitting. Lol

4. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I know, but an incubator doesn't take breaks, so you have to pick a temperature, right? The temperature doesn't HAVE to be 99.5 steady for the entire 21 days, but since it's an incubator, why not? I once had my power go out in the middle of a hatch, and I know those eggs sat at about 72 degrees for at least 18 hours or so. I had given up on them when someone on here suggested I plug it back in and give them a chance. I did, and every one of them hatched....on time. They can stand fluctuations, but I would still prefer a steady temp if it's possible.[​IMG]

5. CluckAcres

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    ok that makes since. Just about every thing i have read says to keep them at a steady temp of 99.5. It just didnt sound right because a chicken cant keep them at that constant temp all the time. I have a dozen in my incubator right now (toaster oven) LOL . I have a steady temp of 99 degrees tho. I posted a thread about using a toaster oven as a incubator. Its the first time trying it and im on day 4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by