Curious what my rooster might be

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by giggleboxfarm, May 3, 2011.

1. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    He looks alot like a roo we had hatched from a barred rock roo and most likely a rir hen. But he also has some rust looking spots and irridescent black tail feathers. He has been a very nice fellow, just curious what sort of cross he is.[​IMG]

2. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I might be totally wrong but Im guessing maybe a Crele Old English Game Roo...

3. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Looks like a black sex-link(which is RIR crossed with an Barred rock) rooster....he looks just like the one I had

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. giggleboxfarm

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    That is what I said too [​IMG] That it was a sex link barred rock on a rir, but he crows rather strangely and my husband is convinced he's a wyandotte.

5. giggleboxfarm

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    So what then happens when you cross him with red stars, black stars, rir, and an EE?[​IMG][​IMG]

I keep taking pictures, trying to keep track of who is who and what they turn out like.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't think he has R.I. Red in him.
    He has a lot of Silver in his Wing Bow area so, along with the Barred Rock I would think that he would have to have a breed that had Gold in that area like a Partidge Rock for example.
    # 12 is the Wing Bow -
    [​IMG]

Here is a Picture of one of my American Gamefowl/ American Dominique crosses. (note the amount of Silver in the Wing Bow area)
    [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's some type of sex-link roo, basically some non barred roo over a barred hen. The amount of red leakage can vary depending on who the daddy is. He has one copy of a barring gene, so if you use him over solid hens you'll get multi-colored/barred offspring. Basically, a grab bag type hatching! That's one reason why I kept my bsl roo, to make nice, colorful babies.

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:ditto ... I have 5 of them I bred from my own birds; they make stunning roos, don't they?

9. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    2 hens and a roosterwith the black barred rock looking chicks.

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:What makes him convinced of that? [​IMG]

My SLW roo...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by