curious...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    when my chicken who is the top hen dies will the rest fight to take her place? i have a cockerel so hes clearly the number one boss but she is boss of the hens

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:When the dominant hen is gone they will indeed have a new "leader" usually not much fighting and fussing in a well established flock, but may be a spat or two.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes. The squabbling will increase until a new leader comes out on top.

I had to remove the top tier of my chicken hierarchy due to behavioral problems. Once the leaders were removed the fighting got pretty intense for about 2 weeks until a new bird established herself as leader. Funny enough, it was not the bird I had predicted would become top bird. A previously lowest ranking bird came out on top and cowed everyone. I'm OK with the results of the new pecking order. The newest leader is much more benevolent than the previous leader, and the flock seems more stable than ever.

Good luck.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    oh, i just thaught the second hen in the pecking order would take her place

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Nope, seems the whole peckin order get's rearranged anytime one is out of the picture.

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    and i thaught i had it all planned out who would be next to the top hen but obviously not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by