1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curiousity... Hen boiled an egg?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cuban Longtails, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm not sure if it's even possible, but how else would one explain it? A few weeks ago my jap bantam hen hatched out four chicks but still had an egg left. We let her keep it a few days and finally took it from her. A piece of the shell broke off and the inside resembled a boiled egg! Has this ever happened with anyone here?

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    That's odd. Maybe it wasn't fertile. I know the hens keep the eggs really hot when sitting on them, maybe she did boil it.

Anyone else have this same experience? I'm dying to know.

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

My some of my goose eggs would do that if they were not fertile.

The yolk would be black to if we peeled it open.

Most of the time they would dry out but others would do the same thing yours did.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    it was probably not fertile and just rotted. [​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Do eggs get solid on the inside when they rot? This is a serious question. I just started getting eggs and haven't witnessed a rotten one yet.

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So do get solid, some dry out, some even explode!! When they explode it is NASTY!!!

Edited to say: You pick them up everyday so you will not have any rotten eggs. Hope this helps you out some [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:So do get solid, some dry out, some even explode!! When they explode it is NASTY!!!

Edited to say: You pick them up everyday so you will not have any rotten eggs. Hope this helps you out some [​IMG]

Thanks!!

8. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Yep - the yolk basicly curdles as it goes bad. I often see that when I find old eggs and whack them open for the girls. Probably shouldn't do that in case it encourages egg-eating, but I figure the extra calcium is good for them.

-Frank

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, eggs half developed, dead, or spoiled, or cured, or made into 1000 year old egg mmm... get solid because the remaining proteins in the egg denature. When you whip eggs or boil them or heat them up, the proteins crosslink thus causing the stiffness of the egg insides.

10. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Sell your rotten ones to fear factor!!! LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by