1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curled Feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twin2ty, Apr 4, 2017.

1. twin2ty

twin2ty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    I have a 3 yr old hen that all of sudden couldn't walk anymore. Her feet are curled up and legs appear useless.... She uses her beak to try to shift positions. During the first week, she was very lethargic and refused food and water. Would sit real low with wings spread out. Then one day, it was like she "woke up" and started eating and drinking, but her feet and legs are the same. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would immediately start some poultry vitamins in her water or crush a human B complex vitamin into her food daily. It's hard to tell if it is a vitamin deficiency, a neurological event or disease, or possibly Mareks disease. I would just keep supporting her with food, water, vitamins, and an occasional egg or tuna. She might have suffered head trauma or had an accident, but she seems to have a will to live. Here is an article about riboflavin deficiency:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

3. Duckies Girls

Duckies Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2015
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I just lost a hen with similar symptoms to egg peritonitis. She was acting off so I put her in my 'ICU Pen'. She wasnt eating or drinking much and wasnt laying. The not laying worried me. After 4 days I found her rolled over on her side. I picked her up but within 24 hours she fell back over. She was also loosing a lot of weight, messing all over herself and her poo had an off smell. I could feel knots in her abdomen, but she was not egg bound and these were not large enough to be an egg. I put her down because she was clearly only declining. After her death it was determined she had egg yolk peritonitis. There were a couple of intact yolks left that had become almost hard, and very tough in texture. These were the knots I felt. Im hoping this isnt the case for your bird, but it happens. My hen was almost 4 years old.

4. twin2ty

Mar 17, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ribo flavin is in most poultry vitamins, except for Poultry NutriDrench. Just read your label. It appears to have riboflavin in it and the directions for dosage in a gallon of water, so that would be good.

6. twin2ty

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you very much!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome.Give us an update on how she is doing in a day or two.

8. twin2ty

Mar 17, 2013
    Update: She still has curled feed..... She is no longer lethargic. She's eating and drinking. Moving around a little bit, but still unable to walk. Any more suggestions?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. twin2ty

Mar 17, 2013
    Yes, the vitamins have riboflavin in it.
    Beef Liver - cooked or raw?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by